During the registration process, you will need to upload multiple documents to ensure that you meet the rental requirements. Which documents do we need, and how do you upload them? We've listed it all below.
Click here to view our step by step guide on registering online.
To qualify as a rental tenant, you must meet the following requirements:
- You are between 18 and 28 years old;
- You are employed or are self-employed;
- You earn at least €1,750 per month or no less than €1,225 per month with a guarantor (see income requirements in FAQ);
- Shared living is only possible in our two-room apartments (couples only);
- You are willing to contribute to the Startmotor community by, for example, taking part in a residents’ committee or contributing in some other way.
Good to know
To finalise your tenant application, you will need to upload certain documents to ensure that you meet the rental requirements. We’ve listed it all below:
- Please make sure that the uploaded files are clearly readable.
- Combine multiple pages as one PDF document (max file size 32 MB).
- Please upload all of the requested files through the website. Unfortunately, it is not possible to send documents by e-mail or post.
- When applying with a co-tenant, please upload the requested documents as one file (e.g. both passports as one PDF file and so on). Please note: shared living is only possible in our two-room apartments (couples only).
- Make sure to blur or obscure your citizen service number (BSN). Your BSN should not be visible in the upload PDF file. Read how-to here.
- We will only consider tenant applications with a complete dossier. Meaning that you’ve met all of the requirements and have uploaded all of the requested documents. Make sure to check the completeness of your application before submitting it.
- A copy of your identity card or passport (please blur or obscure your citizen service number (BSN), this is not needed);
- Extract from the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) – an official statement proving that you are registered as a resident in The Netherlands;
- A statement from your current landlord/mortgagee. This only applies to you if you do not live at home. Do you live at home? Then you do not need to provide this document.
- We’ll need an employer’s statement to determine your income (for couples, we will need an employer’s statement from both tenant applicants);
- If you are currently working in the Netherlands, we’ll need a PDF version of your ’employment history and wage data’ statement from the Employee Insurance Agency Netherlands (UWV);
- If you are self-employed, we’ll need an income statement of the two most recent years. You can request this form free of charge from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst) via telephone 0800 0543 or on their website. If you cannot provide an income statement, we’ll need an auditor’s report with your annual accounts.
In addition to the standard requested documents, we’ll also need:
- Income statement from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst) to determine your income or a copy of your income tax return;
- A balance sheet, with profit and loss accounts for the most recent full financial year;
- An auditor’s report (or income statement from the tax authorities);
- An extract from the Chamber of Commerce. This document is proof that your company is officially registered in the Commercial Register.
- Do you have assets or equity? If you do, we’ll need a bank statement showing the available capital. If you want to rent a studio at the Startmotor but only make between €1,225 and €1,750, then you have the option to rent with a guarantor. Read the FAQ for more information.